- Repairing water damaged wood from a window sill


Dear Shell,

I'm having trouble with water penetration on the window sill in our shower stall (what a stupid place for a window…) I had painted it with an enamel paint two years ago & it started to bubble slightly in the one corner. Upon scraping off the paint, I see I have approximately 2" x 3" section of wet, stinky & spongy wood. What do I do now? Once the wood dries out (as it is beginning to do now) is there a product that I can put over top - like a wood filler - that I can paint over? I'm thinking about giving marine paint a try next time.

Thanks, Barbara

Dear Barbara,

No paint is going to do the job for you. Here is a tip: remove all the rotted wood and replace with ˝ ” plywood. Apply one coat of Ceramica available at most ceramic tile stores or phone Bill @ 604-850-1687. Then apply ceramic tile over the prepared plywood and grout with silicone caulking. Now it will last.

It's just that easy.

Article courtesy of: Shell Busey

- return to the list of I-Handyman.com -
September 21st, 2023