- How do I repair damaged 2x4s?


I am replacing the piping in the bathroom and have removed the plywood floor to get at the pipes. I can now see that the previous owner "butchered" the studs by taking large notches out of the studs to make way for the original piping. (Why they didn't drill holes, I don't know.)

I am going to change the whole layout of the piping and was thinking that there must be a way to repair the damage done to the studs.

My question is:

Is there a product - perhaps a mix or paste of some sort - which can be applied to the notched-out areas of the stud to fill in the gaps?

Ideally, this product (if it exists) would be able to handle a nail being driven into it after it has dried.

Thank you,


Dear Robert,

My suggestion would be to cut pieces of 2x4 or 1x4 and set them along side of the 2x4 studs and screw or nail them into place. A filler would not be adequate to hold a nail or screw.

It's Just That Easy

Article courtesy of: Shell Busey

- return to the list of I-Handyman.com -
June 21st, 2024