- Insulation as a sound barrier
We are renovating our basement and the TV room and a bedroom are below the two upstairs bedrooms. What R-level of insulation would work best to give us a sound barrier? R12 or R20?
The following four steps will give you a good sound barrier system.
1. Use R-20 insulation up tight against the under side of the subfloor
2. Apply ½ ” Donnacona under the joist
3. Install acoustical channel
4. Then apply your 5/8” drywall
Note: Hot air ducts into the basement should be closed off as they will transfer sound.
It's just that easy.
Article courtesy of: Shell Busey
|- return to the list of I-Handyman.com -|
|December 13th, 2019|