- Correcting deteriorating and eroding mortar from a brick house


Dear Shell,

I have a 150 year old brick house in which the mortar is starting to deteriorate primarily on the south side. Do you know of any products that can be used to stop this from happening or is the house doomed to erode into the ground?

Thanks, Ken

Dear Ken,

This is called mortar joint deterioration. This can be corrected by sealing the joints. First clean the entire wall using my Shell Busey's Home Cleaning Formula and rinse well. Using Weld Bond Adhesive and a narrow artist type brush apply a coat full strength into the damp mortar joint only. Allow to cure over night. To complete the project spray entire wall with a masonry clear solvent based sealer. Using a low-pressure garden sprayer. Note: Do not do any of this project in bright sunshine.

It's just that easy.

Article courtesy of: Shell Busey

- return to the list of I-Handyman.com -
September 21st, 2023